Employers understand the benefits of mindfulness. Benefits of mindfulness, employers cite include increased productivity, greater focus, enhanced creativity, better problem-solving and decision-making and improved listening as just some of the ways that mindfulness can help optimize performance in the workplace. There are a number of simple ways that you can begin to practice greater mindfulness at work:
- Begin each day with a mindfulness exercise, such as the mindful breath.
- Before entering the workplace, remind yourself of your organization’s purpose.
- Throughout the day, pause to be fully present in the moment before undertaking the next critical task.
- If you are a manager or supervisor, take time to reflect and focus your awareness on your role as a leader within the organization.
- When stressful situations arise, practice “strategic” acceptance. Before reacting, observe your feelings and accept how things are at the moment. Then, make a plan to do what you can to improve the situation.
- Notice distractions and become aware of the effects they have on your body. Simply recognizing and observing distractions tends to rob them of their power.
- Take short breaks to practice mindfulness exercises at work to reduces stress and regain focus.
- Periodically, take time to reflect on your priorities to ensure that your time and energy is focused on the things that are most important.
- Take time to review the day’s events at the close of the day to prevent work stresses from spilling into your home life.
- Take time to “unplug.” Set aside your phone for a short walk on a lunchbreak or a three-minute breathing space in the afternoon. On the weekends, consider taking an afternoon to unplug so you can return to work on Monday feeling recharged.
- Before going to bed, end your day a mindfulness exercise.
By incorporating even just one or two of these mindfulness at work strategies into your daily routine, you can begin to feel more in control of your day, and experience greater focus and awareness at work.
Mindfulness toolkit: Ready to feel more focused and have a greater sense of calm? Start a mindfulness practice! It only takes some simple steps and a few minutes daily to become more grounded and present. Your SupportLinc EAP Mindfulness toolkit offers tip sheets and audio lessons to help you start today.
Source: SupportLinc: psh.mysupportportal.com