Self-love is important year-round, but June is particularly notable because of Pride. Pride Month was first established in the late 1960s when protests and riots broke out in the Stonewall Inn in New York City. Since then, people worldwide have come together to celebrate the anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising.
If you identify as LGBTQIA+, you might have experienced discrimination and inequalities that hurt your self-esteem or caused your mental health to suffer. Pride is about loving what makes you unique and being unapologetically you. Read on to discover how you can celebrate Pride by celebrating yourself.
- Celebrate diversity. There are billions of people in the world and each one is unique. Pride allows you to feel seen and accepted regardless of your sexual orientation or gender. For more information on the benefits of diversity and inclusion, check out this article.
- Come together. Pride encourages acceptance without fear of judgement; a time to remember the struggles and inequalities that LGBTQIA+ individuals are fighting to end. In moments like these, it’s important to remember you are not alone.
- Find comfort and safety. When you share your concerns with others who have experienced similar discrimination, this can improve your wellbeing, bring you a sense of solidarity and reduce ruminations.
- Raise awareness. While Pride is often about fun and celebration, it’s important to remember that it is also about equality for the LGBTQIA+ community. Did you know LGBTQIA+ individuals are twice as likely than heterosexual/cisgender individuals to develop a mental health concern? This is just one of many barriers faced, but Pride is an excellent opportunity to show your support for an inclusive community.
- Rejoice in authenticity. Whether you are part of the LGBTQIA+ community or an ally, Pride welcomes you as you are. Being your most authentic self gives you a sense of freedom and can boost your self-esteem.
If you or someone you know is coping with issues of discrimination that are affecting your mental health, don’t hesitate to reach out to SupportLinc by calling 888-881-5462. Finally, have a happy Pride!