Do you resolve to expand your social circle in 2024? Whether you’re hoping to meet entirely new contacts or reconnect with old friends and enhance your relationships, everyone can benefit from learning how to strengthen bonds. Here are some tips to help you build, nurture and grow your relationships:
- Network. Don’t be afraid to connect with neighbors, go to social gatherings or reach out to others to meet new friends of friends. Alumni associations and social groups are great ways to link with others who have similar interests.
- Have the right mindset. Not every social interaction equates to a new friend. Keep a positive attitude and do not focus on the fear of rejection. Talk to people, develop a rapport and realize relationships take some time.
- Be genuine. Honesty is the foundation of trust, and relationships develop through trust. Present your true self, and others will know they can believe in you and what you say.
- Be intentional. Carve out time to spend with your contacts. Plan daily or weekly connections. Simple acts such as grabbing coffee, taking a walk or having lunch together help you build your relationship.
- Follow through. Once you take steps to establish a relationship, keep appointments, meetings and dates. Communicate with those you meet and be open.
- Show appreciation. In any good relationship, people not only give their time and energy but also give a piece of their heart. Be grateful and don’t take for granted what is offered up.
- The Wellbeing Place Blog provides you with a wide array of tips, tools and resources to improve your relationships, overall health and wellbeing.
- Additional articles, tip sheets and flash courses, such as “Healthy Relationships,” can be found using the ‘”What’s on Your Mind?” search feature.
SupportLinc Can Help
For confidential guidance, support, resources and referrals, contact SupportLinc by selecting an icon from the Access Bar on the home screen or by calling 888-881-5462.